Save Money with an Energy Efficient System
Consider Annual Fuel Use Efficiency, or AFUE, ratings, the easiest measure of home furnace efficiency. The AFUE calculates your air system’s energy efficiency.
The average 1970s gas furnace had an AFUE rating of 65 percent. Meaning, 65 percent of energy used by the HVAC system is used specifically for heating. The other 35 percent is lost through operations.
Today, the home furnace must have an AFUE rating of at least 78 percent. Some home furnaces have reached an AFUE rating of 98 percent, with only a 2 percent energy waste.
Apart from energy efficiency, homeowners should also consider reliability, safety, and overall system health. Depending on how these criteria are graded, a new furnace installation may be the more cost-effective decision.