Furnaces will keep you comfortable and your home warm even on the coldest days. A furnace will have various needs over its service life that both homeowners and HVAC contractors attend to. At HVAC.com, we have compiled everything you need to know about furnaces.
Popular furnace brands
When it’s time for furnace installation, whether in a new home or an older home in need of a heating system upgrade, there are numerous HVAC equipment manufacturers who offer high-quality furnaces for residential use. The leading brands of furnaces include:
Furnace Cost Calculator
Need to find out how much your furnace is going to cost you? Try out our Cost Calculator and get a price estimate you can compare with the quotes you’ll get from HVAC technicians.
Average Cost: $3,250 – $12,586
Like your home and needs, your HVAC project cost will be unique. Use the calculator to better estimate your investment.
*Estimate is based on current data and does not represent a guaranteed price. For accurate pricing contact a local HVAC dealer.
Furnace installation cost
The cost to install furnace systems is a variable price, dependent on a number of different factors. On average, the cost to install furnace systems in a typical American home is around $4,200.
The main factors that affect the cost to install furnace system are:
- Equipment brand
- Furnace size
- Energy efficiency
- Equipment features
- Installation requirements
Learn more about furnace installation costs
Occasionally over the service life of your furnace, furnace repair may be necessary. The cost to repair furnace systems varies widely depending on the type of the repair you need and the replacement parts and labor required to complete it.
Furnace installation is a job for a professional – homeowners should not attempt to install a furnace on their own. The equipment price is the biggest portion of the total cost to install furnace systems in most cases, and this equipment needs to be properly installed and service by someone who knows what they’re doing. Don’t risk damage to your new furnace or costly energy waste due to improper furnace installation.
Before you call an HVAC contractor for furnace installation, do some research into the different furnace brands available. Today’s furnaces are packed with incredible technology that boosts energy efficiency and enhances user experience – look into the options available and see the brands and models that have features which help you meet your operational savings, sustainability, and comfort goals.
Furnace Maintenance Tips
Just like vehicles, machinery, and even other household appliances, furnaces need care over their years of service to keep them in good working order. A good furnace maintenance strategy combines professional and DIY tasks to give your furnace a great start going into heating season and keep it running throughout the coming months.
Make sure your furnace maintenance strategy includes the following:
- Professional furnace preventative maintenance in the fall. Ideally, schedule your service appointment prior to the first time your furnace is needed this season.
- Change your air filter. Follow the manufacturer’s recommended interval for filter changes and check your furnace filter monthly throughout heating season to determine if a change is needed sooner, as filters often require more frequent filter replacement during periods of heavy system use.
- Open all vents and registers throughout the home and make sure there are no carpets, pieces of furniture, or other items atop or in front of their openings so that heated air is able to properly flow through the ducts and into your indoor living areas.
- Reset your programmable thermostat schedules for heating season. Take into consideration your household’s changing schedule and your heating budget to choose energy efficient setpoints and schedules that deliver adequate indoor comfort levels without sacrificing your family’s comfort.
Cost to Repair Furnace
On top of the actual furnace repair, most HVAC contractors charge a service call fee, which covers system diagnosis. A service call for furnace repair typically costs between $50 to $100. For emergency furnace repair overnight or on weekends or holidays, expect to pay more.
The cost to repair furnace systems varies between $100 to more than $1,000. On average, homeowners pay about $270 per furnace repair. Some approximate average costs to repair furnace systems include:
- $300 to $400 to repair faulty ignitors
- $50 to $200+ to replace a thermostat
- $150 for blower motor repairs
- $450 for blower motor replacement
- $500 to $1,200 for heat exchanger replacement
- $100 for simple heat exchanger repairs
- $150 to $750 for gas or smart valve replacement
Tips 10 Things You Should Know About Furnaces
The top takeaways from this furnace guide that every homeowner should keep in mind are:
- Furnace installation is a job for a professional HVAC contractor – don’t attempt it yourself!
- Get HVAC contractor recommendations from trusted personal sources, or search an HVAC contractor directory.
- The average cost to install furnace systems is $4,200.
- Furnace installation costs vary based on these factors: brand, size, energy efficiency, features, and installation specifications.
- Furnace maintenance is a professional AND do-it-yourself endeavor.
- Schedule furnace preventative maintenance in the fall – ideally, before you use your furnace for the first time.
- Change your furnace filter on a regular basis – it may need changed more frequently throughout the winter because you use the system more during this time.
- Reset your programmable thermostat when you switch over to heating use to ensure your setpoints and schedules and efficient and comfortable for the colder months.
- When you call an HVAC contractor for furnace repairs, you’ll likely have to pay a service call fee – this cost is more if you need emergency repairs.
- The cost to repair furnace systems varies greatly depending on the type of repair your equipment needs. It can be as low as $100 or more than $1,000, but averages out at $270 per repair.
HVAC.com is the world’s leading resource for all things furnaces. From furnace installation and furnace repair to steps to take to make the most of your home’s comfort system, we have you covered! Check out our helpful guides, blogs, videos, and other resources to familiarize yourself with the heat source in your home!